Person born outside Québec

If you or the person for whom you are applying to substitute the usual given name by another given name on the act of birth were born outside Québec and the birth is not registered in the Québec register of civil status, you must ask the Directeur de l'état civil to insert the act of birth in the register so the application to substitute the usual given name can be processed. In that case, you must first fill out the Application for Insertion of an Act of Civil Status Made Outside Québec into the Québec Register of Civil Status (PDF, 52 Ko), which is in the Forms section. For more information, see the Insertion of an act made outside Québec into the Québec register of civil status.

Top of page

Reviewed: 2023-06-08

Ministère de l'Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale. This link open in a new window.

© Gouvernement du Québec, 2022

back to the main menu